Good Morning Crochet Lovers! Today we are covering how to do Tapestry Crochet technique. Which is not as intimidating as it sounds.
Tapestry crochet color work can be a very gratifying technique, but is often intimidating working with any where from two to many strands of yarn colors at once. Therefore you need to read on for some tips and tricks on how to get through your project with some ease.
Tips & Tricks
- To keep yarns untangled when working in color work projects I suggest separating the skeins from the beginning ie, I place one skein by my hip and the other skein by my knee that way the strands stay separated with hardly no effort from myself. If you are lucky to have a daughter like mine who gifted me a knitting/crochet organizer bag with pockets that keeps your yarn colors separated with holes that you can feed your tails through while crocheting. In addition you could use a handy recyclable plastic storage tote like this one below to feed your yarn ends through for your tapestry crochet projects as well too. I have used all three methods and find them all equally easy to incorporate.
- It is best to crochet tightly to avoid the unused colors to prevent them from being seen through the stitches of the working yarn. However, do not crochet so tight that you cause your project too curl up or the sides to taper in.
- Periodically tug gently the unused yarn to firm up the stitches and ensure that yarn is kept snuggly in place.
- Use a highlighter to keep track of what row you are on while using the chart.
- When reading the pattern chart, note that the odd numbered rows are the right side of the pattern and the even numbered rows are the wrong side of the pattern.
- Right side rows (odd numbered) are read right to left <<<.
- Wrong side rows (even numbered) are read left to right >>>.
- Each cell on chart equals one single crochet stitch and each line on chart equals one row of single crochet.
- Written instructions read as MC x 20 or CC x 20. This means with main color yarn single crochet in next 20 stitches or with contrast color yarn single crochet in next 20 stitches.